Global recycle standard (GRS)
KenDor Textiles has established GRS Gold Level Certification for recycled polyester products with our suppliers. GRS is to synthetics as Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is to natural fibers. This certification allows us to ensure the following:
- Plenty of water treatment methods in place
- No toxic additivies are used as process chemicals
- No harmful finishes are added to the fabric
- Workers have basic rights
GRS provides verified support for the amount of recycled content in a yarn. It provides a track-and-trace certification system that helps to ensure that the claim "a fabric is made from recycled polyester" can officially be verified.
The Global Recycle Standard (GRS) originated by Control Union and is now administered by Textile Exchange (formerly Organic Exchange). It is intended to establish independently verified claims as to the amount of recycled content in a yarn, with the important added dimension of prohibiting certain chemicals, requiring water treatment, and upholding worker's rights. It also holds the weaver to standards similar to those found in the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), such as the following:
- Companies must keep full records of their use of chemicals, energy, water consumption, and waste water treatment including the disposal of sludge
- All prohibited chemicals listed in GOTS are also prohibited in the GRS
- Waste water muct be treated for pH, temperature, Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD), and Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) before disposal
- There is an extensive section related to workers rights
OEKO-TEX®Standard 100 is a certification process that tests for harmful substances used during all stages of production (raw materials, intermediate, and end product). This includes testing for illegal substances, legally regulated substances, known harmful (but not legally regulated) chemicals, and other parameters for health care. It provides manufacturers with a uniform benchmark when evaluating harmful substances potentially used in the production process. Environmentally conscious manufacturers produce fabrics that are tested for safety and skin-friendly.
View our list of certified natural & sustainable fabric here
View our list of certified technical fabric here